The swimming pool like any other structure requires periodic maintenance. The best period to do these activities is during initial months of the year. This time is always beneficial because it is cool and once the work is complete, you can easily refill the pool. The pool painting is the best option to maintain the swimming pool and extend its life. However, before you start with painting, it is important that the inspection of cracks, chips in the concrete pool have to be done with great care. If there are any cracks, then repairs have to be conducted in the concrete pool with chlorinated rubber. If the cracks are a bit lager, then patching compound can be used. These things are specifically made to be used for the concrete pools. On the other hand, the pools of fiberglass do not require repair if the hairline crack open to the substrate. This is a sign of weathering. Immediately repair the cracks in fiberglass pool, as water can damage the substrate and rot it.
How to paint swimming pool with DIY method?
The most important criteria for painting the swimming pool is the preparation. You cannot do any type of shortcuts but follow the steps sincerely. The pool painting is a step-to-step guide to be followed to give it a particular shape. Specific paints can be used for only damp surfaces. You do not have to dry the pool before the painting is done. The purchase of the paint has to be done by studying the label with written directions.
The guidelines to be followed are as follows:
- The first and foremost thing that has to be done is to determine the type of pool. You cannot use rubber base paint that already has epoxy paint. However, the use of acrylic is possible for any surface of the pool.
- Drain off the water completely from the pool and remove all the debris. You have to be sure if all the hydrostatic relief plugs are removed from the floor or the main drain.
- Clean the pool surface by scraping out all the loose paint from the surface. You can do this by using a high-pressure power pressure.
- Cut out the visible cracks in the pool with diamond blade saw. You can also use a grinder for doing this job.
- The swimming pool has to be cleaned with a specific detergent and it is available in the paint and hardware stores. Then you have to mix it with about 2 gallons of water in a flower watering can. Pour the mixture over the walls and floor simultaneously scrubbing it with a brush.
- The whole work is complete when you rinse the pool, lights, stairs, and fittings. You have to allow the pool to dry up completely and then begin with the pool painting work. You have to take care of the lights and fittings and so you have to tape it with a masking tape to prevent any paint to get inside it.
- These simple guidelines of DIY method will enable you to paint your swimming pool without any hassle.
Pool renovation has become easier these days. The paint is not only decorative but also durable. It can be done at a lower cost. Researches showed that the paint used could save you from potential disaster, especially during rains. The pool painting done is 100% resistant to stains and other damages. The algae that usually develop during rainy season will drastically reduce, as it will not cling to the pool paint. Hence, the water will be clear, as well as blue with least effort.